Saturday, November 21, 2009

Teaching... finally

Blog 35
November 16

Today was my first day teaching classes. They weren't my best work... but my counterpart didn't give me much direction... so I did my own thing. I'm honestly not sure how well it meshed... what she said and what I said. I may have repeated some things. She spoke Kazakh the whole time... which is very annoying. The students don't have to think about anything that way. The director sat in on my lesson and said I did well afterwards.
It could be that I'm new still, but the classes were super easy. The students barely make a peep during class. I have been prepared for rowdiness with my Panfilova classes. My counterpart doesn't like to steer much from the book...well all of the teachers here. Their English isn't good enough to recognize how terrible to book is. But they love the idea of doing exactly what is written in a book. Hopefully my creative juices will start flowing... I'm not sure how to physically do what I want with the resources I have. PC provided this flip chart paper, or butcher paper, in PST... Apparently it's an American product and unheard of in this country. I saved some up from training and brought it with me, but I'm hesitant to use it because I want to make sure that I use it for a worthy class. Lol. I'm such a pack rat sometimes.
I played volleyball yesterday with some people at school. It honestly wasn't much fun. I'm no professional by any means, but they would kick the ball regularly. It got on my nerves. I really don't like it when people kick volleyballs lol. Some people were also way too competitive... not playing nice - just pure machoism. Not fun. But sort of funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment